Arkanoid 2: Revenge of DOH
For: Amiga, Apple IIgs, Arcade, Atari ST, Commodore 64, IBM PC/Compatibles
Also Known As
Arcade version of Arkanoid 2
The gameplay in Arkanoid II remains very similar to the first game; players control the spaceship "Vaus" which acts as a paddle at the bottom of the screen which can move left and right. The player needs to keep a bouncing ball in play and destroy all of the bricks on the screen. Once all the bricks are destroyed, a path opens on both the left and right side of the play field and based on which way the player goes the next stage is selected. On some stages there are no bricks, instead the player needs to battle an opponent by hitting it with the ball. This occurs on the final level of the game where the player needs to fight Doh, as well as one of the intervening levels where a brain like opponent appears (which level this is may vary depending on the platform).
Like in the original Arkanoid, destroying certain bricks releases a capsule; if the Vaus catches the capsule it is equipped with additional capabilities. Unlike in the original game more than one capsule can appear on the screen at the same time. Some capsules from the first game return and new ones are added; the possible capsules are:
- Orange (S) - Slow: Temporarily slows down the ball. If more than one "S" capsule is collected the effect is cumulative.
- Red (L) - Laser: Allows the Vaus to fire up to three lasers at a time. Lasers can destroy any brick except gold ones as well as most of the enemies.
- Blue (E) - Extend: Enlarges the width of the Vaus.
- Cyan (D) - Disruption: Causes the ball to split into eight separate balls (increased from three in the original game).
- Green (C) - Catch: Allows the Vaus to catch the ball and release it at will. If the player waits too long to fire the ball it will eventually be released automatically.
- Pink (B) - Break: Allows the player to break out of the current stage and continue on to the next stage without having to destroy all of the bricks.
- Dark Gray (P) - Player: Provides an extra life.
- Navy Blue (T) - Twin: Causes the Vaus to split into two side by side copies. There is a gap between them that is large enough for the ball to fit between.
- Dark Green (I) - Illusion: When the Vaus moves it will leave behind a ghostly version of itself. The trail is capable of deflecting the ball so the size of the Vaus is effectively increased.
- Black (R) - Reduce: Causes the Vaus to be reduced in size. Additional points are earned while the Vaus remains small; catching any other capsule causes the Vaus to revert to its original size.
- Light Gray (N) - New Disruption: Splits the ball into three; if one or two of the balls are lost the remaining one splits again so there are always three balls in play.
- Purple (M) - Mega: Turns all the balls in play into mega balls; these are capable of destroying all bricks (including gold ones) with a single hit and do not rebound after hitting a brick. Collecting any other capsule reverts the balls in play back to normal.
- Flashing - Random: Randomly selects one of five possible effects:
- The ball will split into 40 regular balls.
- The ball will split into 25 mega balls.
- The ball will split into 8 regular balls; if one is lost, a remaining ball will split again so 8 balls remain in play.
- The Vaus will continuously fire lasers.
- 15 regenerating enemies appear on the screen making the stage more difficult to complete.
|Coding, Graphics, and Music:||Peter Johnson|
|Game Testing:||Andrew Bond, Kevin Blake|
|For Imagine:||Gary Bracey|
Platform: Commodore 64
|Music - FX:||Jonathan Dunn|
|Title screen:||Martin McDonald|
Platform: IBM PC/Compatibles
|IBM version programmed by:||Chuck Romberger|
PicturesClick on a picture below to view a larger version.
Gameplay Instructions & Construction Set
MarketingProduct catalogs, magazines, flyers, or other documentation Arkanoid 2: Revenge of DOH has appeared in.
*Note: If you are unable to see any images in this section, you may have an ad blocker installed that is blocking the thumbnails and/or images.
|Instruction Manual Advertisements|